Arts Programs Making a Wave in Competitions

By Sarah Morton

While most people seem to only notice the accomplishments of sports teams, the arts at LHS have also made some significant achievements.

Friday, March 8, LHS’s choirs and bands participated in the Ohio Music Education Association (OMEA) conference at Teays Valley High School. From 4 to past 10 o’clock, these groups performed for a rating, with 1 being the highest rating.

Choirs that competed at this conference included Women’s Ensemble, Men’s Ensemble, and Chamber singers. All of these groups received 1’s.

“We performed class double A songs, so I did not expect us to all get 1’s,” said LHS junior Alexis Scranton. “I’m so proud of everybody!”

Symphonic band and concert band both received a 2, while wind ensemble got a 1. Wind ensemble will be going onto states as well.

The bands and choirs that received a rating of 1 will be going to States. Exact locations and dates are as yet to be determined.

“I’m pretty sure we are going the same week as prom,” said LHS junior Emily Allen, one of the members of the Wind Ensemble.

For those who have classes with choir or band kids, congratulate them on their hard work and wish them luck as they go on to states.